Unfortunately, we are living in a day and age when a lot of people are being laid off, furloughed, or terminated. According to an article in the Texas Tribune, more than 1.5 million workers in Texas filed for unemployment benefits with the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) from mid-March to mid-April. This is a staggering
We asked Julie L. St. John, an experienced Trial Attorney in the Houston office of Rob Wiley, P.C., to impart her candid answers to a range of questions. After reading, you will be more more informed on the well-respected reputation that Ms. St. John carries.
1. Why did you start practicing labor and employment law?
Because I care about the rights of employees and believe all workers should be treated fairly.
2. If you could write a new law, what would it do?
Guarantee a living wage for all workers.
3. Besides Rob Wiley, P.C., what is the most interesting job that you have had?
I worked as the beer cart girl at a golf course in college.
4. What’s the best part of living in Houston?
Houston is clearly the best city in Texas, way better than Austin or Dallas. The people are wonderful, and the food is delicious. The only downside is the traffic, which is why I refuse to go outside of the loop (with a key exception for Ikea).
5. If you were not practicing labor and employment law what would you be?
I would start a gardening/landscaping company with animals that do the work. The goats would eat the weeds, the pigs would till the ground, and the chickens would keep the bugs away.
6. Why did you decide to become a lawyer?
To have another tool to use to fight for things I believe in. I’ve always wanted to change the world.
7. What do you do when you’re not practicing law?
Travel, watch Ohio State football, and work to make my cat instafamous.
8. What’s your favorite legal movie
The Pelican Brief because it features Tulane Law!
9. Have you ever learned something from one of your clients?
I learn something from almost all of my clients. Most importantly, courage.
10. Who do you most admire as a lawyer?
Julie L. St. John is a Trial Attorney in the Houston office of Rob Wiley, P.C. She graduated from Ohio State University with her bachelor’s degree in 2007. Ms. St. John then graduated from Tulane University School of Law in 2017.
In the face of a global pandemic, workplaces as we know them have drastically changed. Working from home has become common place, jobs that were undervalued in our society are now seen as essential, and workplaces once seen as safe now have increasing health and safety risks. The circumstances in this essentially unprecedented time serve…